Fortitude vs Perseverance - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between fortitude and perseverance
is that fortitude
is mental or emotional strength that enables courage in the face of adversity while perseverance
is continuing in a course of action without regard to discouragement, opposition or previous failure.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
Mental or emotional strength that enables courage in the face of adversity.
* 1612 , , King Henry VIII , act 3, sc. 2:
- . . . I am able now, methinks,
- Out of a fortitude of soul I feel,
* , ch. 1:
- To endure more miseries.
* 1906 , , The Mirror of the Sea , ch. 21:
- I shall soon have need for all my fortitude , as I am on the point of separation from my own daughter.
* 2012 Jan. 30, , "
- She may be saved by your efforts, by your resource and fortitude bearing up against the heavy weight of guilt and failure.
The Strategist," Time :
(archaic) Physical strength.
* 1604 , , Othello , act 1, sc. 3:
- Mitt Romney . . . charges that Obama is an appeaser who apologizes for America, lacks fortitude and is "tentative, indecisive, timid and nuanced."
- DUKE OF VENICE: The Turk with a most mighty preparation makes for
- Cyprus. Othello, the fortitude of the place is best
- known to you.
* (mental or emotional strength) inner strength, moxie, resolve
* perseveraunce (archaic)
Continuing in a course of action without regard to discouragement, opposition or previous failure.
Persistent determination to adhere to a plan of direction; insistence.
* 2004 , , Character: Profiles in Presidential Courage
- It had taken nine years from the evening that first showed up with a pie plate at her mother's door, but his dogged perseverance eventually won him the hand of his boyhood Sunday school crush.
* See also