Hutch vs Pen - What's the difference?
Hutch is a synonym of pen.
As a noun hutch
is a cage in which a rabbit or rabbits are kept.
As a verb hutch
is to hoard or lay up, in a chest.
As a symbol pen is
peruvian nuevo sol.
A cage in which a rabbit or rabbits are kept.
* 1960 , , chapter 16,
A piece of furniture in which items may be displayed.
A measure of two Winchester bushels.
(mining) The case of a flour bolt.
(mining) A car on low wheels, in which coal is drawn in the mine and hoisted out of the pit.
A jig for washing ore.
- To reach the courtroom, on the second floor, one passed sundry sunless county cubbyholes: the tax assessor,... the circuit clerk, the judge of probate lived in cool dim hutches that smelled
To hoard or lay up, in a chest.
(mining) To wash (ore) in a box or jig.
- She hutched the ore.
From (etyl) . More at pin.
Sense “prison” originally figurative extension to enclosure for persons (1845), later influenced by
An enclosed area used to contain domesticated animals, especially sheep or cattle.
A place to confine a person; a prison cell.
- There are two steers in the third pen .
(baseball) The bullpen.
- They caught him with a stolen horse, and he wound up in the pen again.
- Two righties are up in the pen .
To enclose in a pen.
- Watching where shepherds pen their flocks at eve.
From (etyl) (m), from (etyl) (m), from (etyl) (Modern English (m));
note the /p/ ? /f/ Germanic sound change.
See feather and for more.
A tool, originally made from a feather but now usually a small tubular instrument, containing ink used to write or make marks.
(figurative) A writer, or his style.
- He took notes with a pen .
- He has a sharp pen .
A light pen.
(zoology) The internal cartilage skeleton of a squid, shaped like a pen.
A feather, especially one of the flight feathers of a bird, angel etc.
* 1590 , Edmund Spendser, The Faerie Queene , I.xi:
- those learned pens
(poetic) A wing.
- And eke the pennes , that did his pineons bynd, / Were like mayne-yards, with flying canuas lynd, / With which whenas him list the ayre to beat
* ball pen
* ball-point pen
* border pen
* bull pen
* cartridge pen
* felt-tip pen
* fountain pen
* goose pen
* lettering pen
* pen cancellation
* pen feather
* pen name
* pen pal
* poison pen
* you don't dip your pen in company ink
To write (an article, a book, etc.).
Shortned form of penalty