Contraction of pavilion.
* 1954 , , According to Jennings ,
- “It?s no good hanging around here. I vote we nip round to the back of the pav ,” Jennings suggested. “We might be able to see Mr Findlater and wave to him through the window.”
* 2000 , , The Whole Hog ,
- They scurried round to the rear of the building where a row of windows overlooked a deserted part of the cricket ground.
* 2008 , Fionn Davenport, Dublin City Guide , Lonely Planet,
- Up goes the finger and the Dodo snaps to attention, rams the bat under his arm (subaltern with swagger stick) and retreats to the pav with a slowness intended as silent comment on a poor decision.
- One of the most enjoyable drinking experiences in town can be had on a pleasant summer?s day on the balcony of the Pav , the cricket pavilion overlooking Trinity?s playing fields.
Contraction of pavlova. Australian from 1966.
(Australia, New Zealand, informal)
* 2003 , Stephen Downes, Advanced Australian Fare: How Australian Cooking Became the World?s Best ,
* 2011 , Neil Perry, Rockpool Bar & Grill: Desserts ,
- Bert Sachse experimented for a month to create the perfect pav .
* 2011 , , Suzanne Gibbs, Margaret Fulton Favourites ,
- I?m totally biased but I think this is the best pav' in the world. It also does nothing to clear up the argument that the ' pav is in fact from New Zealand and not Australia.
- Pavlova, named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova, is still just about the most popular party dessert in Australia.The following recipe was given to me by a churchgoer who won acclaim for her ‘pavs ’ and made at least five a week for members of the congregation.
* pav bhaji
A pace; a step, as in a dance.
(obsolete) The right of going foremost; precedence.
* see pa