Profligate vs Parsimonious - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between profligate and parsimonious
is that profligate
is (obsolete) overthrown, ruined while parsimonious
is exhibiting parsimony; sparing in expenditure of money; frugal to excess; penurious; niggardly; stingy.
As a noun profligate
is an abandoned person; one openly and shamelessly vicious; a dissolute person.
As a verb profligate
is (obsolete) to drive away; to overcome.
(obsolete) Overthrown, ruined.
Inclined to waste resources or behave extravagantly.
* 2013 , Ben Smith, "[http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24503988]", BBC Sport , 19 October 2013:
- The foe is profligate , and run.
Immoral; abandoned to vice.
- Jay Rodriguez headed over and Dani Osvaldo might have done better with only David De Gea to beat and, as Southampton bordered on the profligate , United were far more ruthless.
- a race more profligate than we
- Made prostitute and profligate muse.
* (inclined to waste resources or behave extravagantly) extravagant, wasteful, prodigal
* immoral, licentious
* See also
An abandoned person; one openly and shamelessly vicious; a dissolute person.
An overly wasteful or extravagant individual.
* (overly wasteful or extravagant individual) wastrel
* See also and
(obsolete) To drive away; to overcome.
* 1840 , Alexander Walker, Woman Physiologically Considered as to Mind, Morals, Marriage, Matrimonial Slavery, Infidelity and Divorce , page 157:
- Such a stipulation would remove one powerful temptation to profligate pennyless seducers, of whom there are too many prowling in the higher circles ;
Exhibiting parsimony; sparing in expenditure of money; frugal to excess; penurious; niggardly; stingy.
Using a minimal number of assumptions, steps, or conjectures.
* Kiplinger's Personal Finance , January 2002
- The first three college-savings plans stand out for their parsimonious expenses...
- Statistical methods offer the ability to enforce parsimonious selection of the most influential potential predictors of each gene's state.
* See also