A bird of the family Cacatuidae with a curved beak and a zygodactyl foot.
(slang, obsolete) A lookout posted during a two-up game.
* Major Mitchell's Cockatoo
* red-tailed black cockatoo
* sulphur-crested cockatoo
A kind of bird, many species of which are colourful and able to mimic human speech, of the order Psittaciformes or (narrowly) of the family Psittacidae.
- I bought a wonderful parrot at the pet store.
A parroter; a person who repeats what was just said.
- Mrs Merdle was at home, and was in her nest of crimson and gold, with the parrot' on a neighbouring stem watching her with his head on one side, as if he took her for another splendid ' parrot of a larger species.
* 1837 , ,
- What kind of a parrot are you? He just said that.
(archaic) A puffin.
(geology, obsolete) Channel coal.
- In this distribution of functions, the scholar is the delegated intellect. In the right state, he is, Man Thinking . In the degenerate state, when the victim of society, he tends to become a mere thinker, or, still worse, the parrot of other men’s thinking.
* (kind of bird) popinjay, Psittaciformes
* (person who repeats what was said) copycat, mimic, parroter
* (puffin) puffin, sea-parrot, tomnoddy
* (channel coal) channel coal
* (kind of bird) (l), (l), (l), (l), (l), (l), (l), (l)
* blood parrot
* blood parrotfish
* burrowing parrot
* parrot's beak orchid
* parrot's bill
* parrot-billed sparrow
* parrot bush
* parrot crossbill
* parrot cry
* parrot disease
* parrot feather
* parrot fever
* parrot flower
* parrot green
* parrot lily
* parrot pitcher plant
* parrot snake
* parrot toadstool
* parrot waxcap
* parrot weed
* who's a pretty boy then
To repeat (exactly what has just been said) without necessarily showing understanding, in the manner of a parrot.
* 1996 , (15 June)
- So when political leaders parrot the tobacco company line, say cigarettes are not necessarily addictive, and oppose our efforts to keep tobacco away from our children, they continue to cater to powerful interests, but they're not standing up for parents and children.
* (to repeat exactly) (l), (l)
* poll parrot