As an adjective parochial
is pertaining to a parish.
As a noun vestryman is
a member of a parochial vestry.
Pertaining to a parish.
Characterized by an unsophisticated focus on local concerns to the exclusion of wider contexts; elementary in scope or outlook.
- The use of simple, primary colors in the painting gave it a parochial feel .
* 1918 , 1st of February, "
- Some people in the United States have been accused of taking a parochial view, of not being interested in international matters.
* 1969 , : A History of the Scottish People 1560-1830 , p 341:
- But for men of principle and honour and straightforward thought there could be no middle course and no paltering with petty issues of party or parochial advantage.
- Its atmosphere might have been provincial, but it was never merely parochial .
a member of a parochial vestry