(label) Of or pertaining to the second period of the Mesozoic era, a time still dominated by dinosaurs.
* 1990 , Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park , Alfred A. Knopf, p 94:
Of or pertaining to the people or region near the Jura Mountain Range of Europe.
* 1910 , Peter Kropotkin, “Anarchism”, in Encyclopædia Britannica .
- His father squinted at the skeleton. “What is it, Jurassic'?” “Jeez. No. Cretaceous.” “Cretaceous? What's the difference between Cretaceous and '''Jurassic'''?” “Only about a hundred million years,” Tim said. “Cretaceous is older?” “No, Dad, ' Jurassic is older.”
- The Jurassic , the Spanish and the Italian federations and sections of the International Working Men's Association, as also the French, the German and the American anarchist groups, were for the next years the chief centres of anarchist thought and propaganda.
(en proper noun
The period from 201.3±0.2 to 145 million years ago, after the Triassic and before the Cretaceous; the geologic systems of this period.
* D. M. Kermack, K. A. Kermack, The Evolution of Mammalian Characters :
- [p 108] Like the Forest Marble Beds in the Middle Jurassic , the Purbeck Beds of the Upper Jurassic are deltaic or estuarine in origin, so as well as mammals they contain small, presumably freshwater, crocodiles and the first indisputable lizards.
- [p 109] This is less surprising if it is recalled that in the Upper Jurassic , Europe and North America were joined to form Laurasia and the Atlantic Ocean still had to be formed [...]
* (geological period) Phanerozoic - eon; Mesozoic - era
* (geological period) Lower Jurassic, Middle Jurassic, Upper Jurassic - epochs; series
* (geological period) Triassic (preceding), Cretaceous (succeeding) - periods; systems
(Oxfordian theory of Shakespeare authorship)
A native or resident of Oxford.
One who believes that (Edward de Vere), 17th Earl of Oxford, wrote the plays traditionally attributed to (William Shakespeare).
(en proper noun
(geology) The age from 163.5±1.0 Ma to 157.3±1.0 Ma or the stage of rocks (chiefly coral-derived limestones) deposited during it.
* Phanerozoic - eon; Mesozoic - era; Jurassic - period; Upper Jurassic - epoch
* Callovian (Middle Jurassic); Oxfordian , Kimmeridgean, Tithonian (Upper Jurassic) - ages or stages
Of or pertaining to Oxford or its residents.
Relating to or denoting the theory that Edward de Vere (1550–1604), Earl of Oxford, wrote the plays attributed to William Shakespeare.
Relating to the Oxfordian age or stage.
* Oxfordian Theory