Owly vs Owllike - What's the difference?
Owly is a synonym of owllike.
As adjectives the difference between owly and owllike
is that owly
is resembling or characteristic of an owl while owllike
is resembling an owl or some aspect of one.
Resembling or characteristic of an owl.
* 2010 , (Tracy Chevalier), Remarkable Creatures , Dutton (2010), ISBN 9781101152454,
In a bad mood; cranky.
* 1988 , (Janette Oke), Winter Is Not Forever , Bethany House Publishers (2010), ISBN 9780764208027,
- In the picture Miss Elizabeth showed me the croc had little piggy eyes, not huge owly ones.
* 1908 , , "The Vendetta", in Insect Stories , Henry Holt and Company (1908),
- I had no right to be owly and disagreeable with Willie.
- Perhaps nice isn't the best word for him, but he certainly was an unusually imposing and fluffy-haired and fierce-looking brute of a tarantula. He had rather an owly way about him, as if he had come out from his hole too early and was dazed and half-blinded by the light.
* (like an owl) owlish, owllike, strigine
* (in a bad mood) crabby, cranky, grumpy, ornery, out of sorts
* T. K. Pratt, Dictionary of Prince Edward Island English , University of Toronto Press (1988), ISBN 0802057810,
* The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia , The Century Co. (1897), Volume 5,
Resembling an owl or some aspect of one.