As a verb exaggerate
is to overstate, to describe more than is fact.
As a noun overstatement is
an exaggeration; a statement in excess of what is reasonable.
To overstate, to describe more than is fact.
- I've told you a billion times not to exaggerate !
- He said he'd slept with hundreds of girls, but I know he's exaggerating . The real number is about ten.
* (overstate) downplay, understate
An exaggeration; a statement in excess of what is reasonable.
The tendency to overstate.
- The story he gave was something of an overstatement of the facts.
- She had a knack for overstatement .