As verbs the difference between override and overrule
is that override
is to ride across or beyond something while overrule
is to rule over; to govern or determine by superior authority.
As a noun override
is a mechanism, device or procedure used to counteract an automatic control.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
To ride across or beyond something.
To ride a horse too hard.
To counteract the normal operation of something.
- The Congress promptly overrode the president's veto, passing the bill into law .
(programming, object-oriented) To define a new behaviour of a method by creating the same method of the superclass with the same name and signature.
- The needs of the windmill must override everything else, he said.
- How the cat runs is defined in the method
run() of the class
Cat, which overrides the same method with the same signature of superclass called
* The form overrode is sometimes used as a past participle, in place of the standard overridden.
* (programming) overload
A mechanism, device or procedure used to counteract an automatic control.
A device for prioritizing audio signals, such that certain signals receive priority over others.
To rule over; to govern or determine by superior authority.
# To rule or determine in a contrary way; to decide against; to abrogate or alter.
To nullify a previous ruling by a higher power.
- His passion and animosity overruled his conscience.
(legal) To dismiss or throw out (a protest or objection) at a court.
- The line judge signalled the ball was in, but this was overruled by the umpire.
to rule against or disallow the arguments of (a person):
The senator was overruled by the committee chairman.
to rule or decide against (a plea, argument, etc.); reject:
to overrule an objection.
to prevail over so as to change the purpose or action:
a delay that overruled our plans.
to exercise control or influence over:
belief in a beneficent deity that overrules the universe.