As verbs the difference between overestimate and overplay
is that overestimate
is to judge too highly while overplay
is and to overdo or overact one's effect or role.
to judge too highly
- Experts overestimate the level of harm of cigarettes.
* (to judge too highly) underestimate
and To overdo or overact one's effect or role.
To present something in a manner more dramatic than necessary.
- When Chris overacted''' his part again, the director warned that anyone ' overplaying would be barred from the next production
To overestimate one's strength in a game or event, which ultimately may end in a defeat.
- Although the play was wonderful, Joshua overplayed his role as the Beast.
(golf) To accidentally hit (one's golf ball) beyond "the green".
- Jack won the last match of blackjack; Theo overplayed .
- The first few shots went wonderfully, but Robin overplayed the last and lost.