As nouns the difference between operation and piracy
is that operation
is the method by which a device performs its function while piracy
is (nautical) robbery at sea, a violation of international law; taking a ship away from the control of those who are legally entitled to it.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
The method by which a device performs its function.
The method or practice by which actions are done.
The act or process of operating; agency; the exertion of power, physical, mechanical, or moral.
* John Locke
- It is dangerous to look at the beam of a laser while it is in operation .
- The pain and sickness caused by manna are the effects of its operation on the stomach.
A planned undertaking.
- Speculative painting, without the assistance of manual operation , can never attain to perfection.
- The police ran an operation to get vagrants off the streets.
A business or organization.
- The ''Katrina'' relief operation was considered botched.
- We run our operation from a storefront.
(medicine) a surgical procedure.
- They run a multinational produce-supply operation .
(computing, logic, mathematics) a procedure for generating a value from one or more other values (the operands).
(military) a military campaign (e.g. )
(obsolete) Effect produced; influence.
- She had an operation to remove her appendix.
- The bards had great operation on the vulgar.
(nautical) Robbery at sea, a violation of international law; taking a ship away from the control of those who are legally entitled to it.
A similar violation of international law, such as hijacking of an aircraft.
The unauthorized duplication of goods protected by intellectual property law (e.g. copying software unlawfully).
The operation of an unlicensed radio or television station.
- How shoud the international community respond to Somali piracy ?
* (breaking intellectual property law by making unauthorized copies) bootlegging, file sharing
* pirate radio