As adjectives the difference between operating and inactive
is that operating
is in operation while inactive
is not active, temporarily or permanently.
As a verb operating
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
involved in an operation
Not active, temporarily or permanently
Not functioning or operating; broken down
- The volcano is inactive , but is only dormant.
Retired from duty or service
- The photocopier is inactive pending repair.
(chemistry) Relatively inert
- Admiral Jones is now on the inactive list.
(physics) Showing no optical activity in polarized light
- Aluminium is inactive towards water.
- Synthetic glycine is optically inactive as it contains equal amounts of the d- and l- form.
* (not active) dull, dormant
* (not functioning or operating) idle
* (not active) active