Octothorpe vs Poundsterling - What's the difference?
(chiefly, US) The hash or square symbol (), used mainly in telephony and computing
* 1982 , Willard R. Espy, A Children's Almanac of Words at Play , Clarkson N. Potter, Inc., page 230
* 2004 , Andrew Pitonyak, Openoffice.Org Macros Explained , Hentzenwerke, page 139
- Octothorp is the
- on a push-button telephone. Rumor at the telephone company is that a man named Charles B. Octothorp, wanting to make his name famous...
- Strings are enclosed in double quotation marks, numbers are not enclosed in anything, and dates and Boolean values are enclosed between octothorpe (
- ) characters.
* hash, octothorn, pound sign, number sign, hashtag, tic-tac-toe sign, naughts and crosses sign/symbol
* (Number sign)
Not English Poundsterling has no English definition. It may be misspelled.