Chicken vs Nuts - What's the difference?
As a proper noun chicken
is a cdp in alaska.
As a noun nuts is
As an adjective nuts is
(colloquial) insane, mad.
As an interjection nuts is
indicates annoyance, anger, or disappointment.
As a verb nuts is
(countable) A domestic fowl, Gallus gallus , especially when young
(uncountable) The meat from this bird eaten as food.
(countable, slang) A coward.
(countable, gay slang) A young, attractive, slim man, usually having little body hair. Compare chickenhawk
(countable, slang) A young or inexperienced person.
* 1887 , Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet , III:
* Jonathan Swift
- "This case will make a stir, sir," he remarked. "It beats anything I have seen, and I am no chicken ."
A confrontational game in which the participants move toward each other at high speed (usually in automobiles); the player who turns first to avoid colliding into the other is the chicken (, the loser.)
- Stella is no chicken .
The game of dare.
- Don't play chicken with a freight train; you're guaranteed to lose.
* (bird) cock (male only), chook , hen (female only), rooster (male only)
* (young inexperienced person) spring chicken
* See also
* chicken and egg
* chicken feed
* chicken fillet
* chicken Kiev
* chicken salt
* like a chicken with its head cut off
* like a chicken with the pip
* play chicken
* run around like a chicken with its head cut off
* spring chicken
To avoid as a result of fear.
To develop physical or other characteristics resembling a chicken's, for example, bumps on the skin.
* chicken out
* chicken legs
(vulgar, slang) Testicles.
(poker) A hand that can be proven unbeatable even when the hand's holder does not know any of the hidden cards the other poker players involved in a hand hold or held.
- Ohhh, he just got kicked in the nuts!
(colloquial) Insane, mad.
(colloquial, figuratively) Crazy, mad; unusually pleased or, alternatively, angered.
- After living on the island alone for five years, he eventually went nuts .
- I just go nuts over her fantastic desserts.
- The referee made a bad call against the home team and the crowd went nuts .
* See also
Indicates annoyance, anger, or disappointment.
Signifies rejection of a proposal or idea, as in forget it,'' ''no way,'' or ''nothing doing .
- Nuts! They didn't even listen to what I had to say.
* The association with testicles (See .) adds an intensifying effect to the anger or rejection.
* Use of "Nuts" rather than another form of "No" is often intentionally insulting.