Consecrated by a vow or promise; consequent on a vow; devoted; promised.
* Francis Bacon
- Votary resolution is made equipollent to custom.
A person, such as a monk or nun, who lives a religious life according to vows they have made
A devotee of a particular religion or cult
A devout or zealous worshipper
Someone who is devoted to a particular pursuit etc; an enthusiast.
* 1922 , (James Joyce), Chapter 13
*:Gerty was dressed simply but with the instinctive taste of a votary of Dame Fashion for she felt that there was just a might that he might be out.
*1893, , Collaboration [http://www.henryjames.org.uk/collab/CLtext.htm]
*: He is such a votary of the modern that he was inevitably interested in the girl of the future and had matched one reform with another, being ready to marry without a penny, as the clearest way of expressing his appreciation, this favourable specimen of the type.
A hard-shelled seed.
A fastener: a piece of metal, usually square or hexagonal in shape, with a hole through it having machined internal threads, intended to be screwed onto a bolt or other threaded shaft.
* 1998 , Brian Hingley, Furniture Repair & Refinishing - Page 95[http://books.google.com/books?id=lPYWVti6GR0C&pg=PA95&dq=bolt+%22nut+into%22&hl=en&ei=FPAWTuXGOIm08QPkl5j8Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CE0Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=bolt%20%22nut%20into%22&f=false]
- There are many sort of nuts - peanuts, cashews, pistachios, Brazil nuts and more.
(slang) A crazy person.
- As the bolt tightens into the nut', it pulls the tenon on the side rail into the mortise in the bedpost and locks them together. There are also some European beds that reverse the bolt and '''nut''' by setting the ' nut into the bedpost with the bolt inserted into a slotted area in the side of the rail.
(slang) The head.
- He was driving his car like a nut .
, title=(Jeeves in the Offing
, section=chapter V
, passage=Let the Cream get firmly in her nut
the idea that Sir Roderick Glossop was not the butler, the whole butler and nothing but the butler, and disaster, as I saw it, loomed.}}
(US, slang) Financial term for monthly expense to keep a venture running.
(US, slang) The amount of money necessary to set up some venture; set-up costs.
* 1971 , Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas , Harper Perennial (2005), page 11:
(US, slang) A stash of money owned by an extremely rich investor, sufficient to sustain a high level of consumption if all other money is lost.
(musical instruments, lutherie) On string instruments such as guitars and violins, the small piece at the peghead end of the fingerboard that holds the strings at the proper spacing and, in most cases, the proper height.
En, a unit of measurement equal to half of the height of the type in use.
An extravagantly fashionable young man of the 1910s and 1920s.
* 1914 , (w), ‘The Dreamer’, Beasts and Superbeasts , Penguin 2000 (Complete Short Stories), p. 323:
- My attorney was waiting in a bar around the corner. “This won't make the nut ,” he said, “unless we have unlimited credit.”
(vulgar, slang, rarely used in the singular) A testicle.
- ‘You are not going to be what they call a Nut', are you?’ she inquired with some anxiety, partly with the idea that a ' Nut would be an extravagance which her sister's small household would scarcely be justified in incurring [...].
(vulgar, slang) Semen, ejaculate.
An extreme enthusiast.
- I kicked him in the nuts .
- a fashion nut
- a gun nut
(climbing) A shaped piece of metal, threaded by a wire loop, which is jammed in a crack in the rockface and used to protect a climb. (Originally, machine nuts [sense #2] were used for this purpose.)
* 2005 , Tony Lourens, Guide to climbing page 88
- a sailing nut
(poker, only in attributive use) Relating to the , the best possible hand on a given board.
- When placing nuts', always look for constrictions within the crack, behind which the ' nut can be wedged.
The tumbler of a gunlock.
- a nut''' hand; a '''nut flush
(nautical) A projection on each side of the shank of an anchor, to secure the stock in place.
* (insane person) loony, nutbag, nutcase, nutter
* (the head) bonce, noodle (see further synonyms under head)
* (a testicle) ball, bollock (taboo slang), nads
* hard nut to crack
* nut roast
* off one's nut
* sweet as a nut
(UK, transitive, slang) To hit deliberately with the head; to headbutt.
* 1999 , Nik Cohn, Yes we have no: adventures in the other England
(slang) To ejaculate (semen ).
- One night, we were fumbling each other out by the toilets when a Rocker in full leathers came out of the Gents and, without breaking stride or saying a word, nutted me square between the eyes. I went down as though shot...