, - valign="top"
, - valign="top"
The series of bones situated at the back from the head to the pelvis of a person, or from the head to the tail of an animal; backbone, vertebral column.
* 1851 , (Herman Melville), (Moby-Dick) , :
* , chapter=16
- If you attentively regard almost any quadruped's spine , you will be struck with the resemblance of its vertebrae to a strung necklace of dwarfed skulls.
, title=The Mirror and the Lamp
Something resembling a backbone, such as a ridge, or a long, central structure from which other structures radiate.
# The narrow, bound edge of a book.
A rigid, pointed surface protuberance or needle-like structure on an animal, shell, or plant.
* 1871 , (Charles Darwin), (w) , :
(figurative) Courage or assertiveness.
- The male, as Dr. Gunther informs me, has a cluster of stiff, straight spines , like those of a comb, on the sides of the tail.
* send shivers down someone's spine
* spina bifida
* spinal canal
* spinal column
* spinal cord
* spine board
A non-existent or empty value or set of values.
Zero]] quantity of [[expression, expressions; nothing.
Something that has no force or meaning.
(computing) the ASCII or Unicode character (), represented by a zero value, that indicates no character and is sometimes used as a string terminator.
(computing) the attribute of an entity that has no valid value.
- (Francis Bacon)
One of the beads in nulled work.
(statistics) null hypothesis
- Since no date of birth was entered for the patient, his age is null .
Having no validity, "null and void"
* 1924 , Marcel Proust, Within a Budding Grove :
absent or non-existent
(mathematics) of the null set
(mathematics) of or comprising a value of precisely zero
(genetics, of a mutation) causing a complete loss of gene function, amorphic.
- In proportion as we descend the social scale our snobbishness fastens on to mere nothings which are perhaps no more null than the distinctions observed by the aristocracy, but, being more obscure, more peculiar to the individual, take us more by surprise.
to nullify; to annul