Piffle vs Nonsense - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between piffle and nonsense
is that piffle
is nonsense, foolish talk while nonsense
is letters or words, in writing or speech, that have no meaning or seem to have no meaning.
As verbs the difference between piffle and nonsense
is that piffle
is to act or speak in a futile, ineffective, or nonsensical manner while nonsense
is to make nonsense of.
As an adjective nonsense is
resulting from the substitution of a nucleotide in a sense codon, causing it to become a stop codon (not coding for an amino-acid).
Nonsense, foolish talk.
* 1998 , The Economist,
Walking: More than gadding about
- The wafflier the piffle , the more sharply Mr Nicholson wields his skewer.
* See also
To act or speak in a futile, ineffective, or nonsensical manner.
To waste, to fritter away.
* (act or speak in a futile manner) trifle, twaddle
* nonsence (archaic)
Letters or words, in writing or speech, that have no meaning or seem to have no meaning.
An untrue statement.
- After my father had a stroke, every time he tried to talk, it sounded like nonsense .
* 2008 , "Nick Leeson has some lessons for this collapse", Telegraph.co.uk, Oct 9, 2008
- He says that I stole his computer, but that's just nonsense .
(literature) A type of poetry that contains strange or surreal ideas, as, for example, that written by .
(biology) A damaged DNA sequence whose products are not biologically active, that is, that does nothing.
- and central banks lend vast sums against marshmallow backed securities, or other nonsenses creative bankers dreamed up.
* (something that lacks meaning or absurd statement)
** (mostly colloquialisms or slang) balderdash, baloney, bull, bulldust, bunk, codswallop, drivel, gibberish, hogwash, hooey (US), horse hockey, malarkey, manure, poppycock, prattle, rhubarb (chiefly British), rubbish, twaddle
** (vulgar slang) bollocks (British), bullshit, crap, horseshit (US)
* (biology) missense
To make nonsense of
* Bernard Shaw, "The Red Robe", in James Huneker ed., Dramatic Opinions and Essays by G. Bernard Shaw , volume II, page 73:
To attempt to dismiss as nonsense.
* 1997 , "Rockies respond to whip", Denver Post , Jun 3, 1997:
- At the Haymarket all this is nonsensed by an endeavor to steer between Mr. Stanley Weyman's rights as author of the story and the prescriptive right of the leading actor to fight popularly and heroically against heavy odds.
* 2000 , Leon Garfield, Jason Cockcroft, Jack Holborn , page 131:
- "They haven't nonsensed these workouts. They've taken them and used them very well. I didn't know how they'd respond, but they've responded."
* 2006 , Sierra Leone: Petroleum Unit Calls for Auditing , AllAfrica.com, Mar 17, 2006:
- Very commanding: very much 'end of this nonsensing' . Mister Fared spread his hands and shook his thin head imperceptibly, as if to say he understood
To joke around, to waste time
* 1963 , C. F. Griffin, The Impermanence of Heroes , page 170:
- He further nonsensed press suggestions that the Petroleum Unit was set up to assist in the administration of sporting activities.
- When he meant "go and get one" he said to go and get one, with no nonsensing around about "liking" to get one.
* pooh-pooh, rubbish, whangdoodle
Resulting from the substitution of a nucleotide in a sense codon, causing it to become a stop codon (not coding for an amino-acid).