Nag vs Nig - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between nag and nig
is that nag
is a small horse; a pony or nag
can be one who while nig
is (offensive|racial slur) nigger.
As a verb nag
is to repeatedly remind or complain to someone in an annoying way, often about insignificant matters.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
(etyl) nagge'', cognate with Dutch ''negge
A small horse; a pony.
An old useless horse.
(obsolete, derogatory) A paramour.
* 1598 , , III. x. 11:
- Yon ribaudred nag of Egypt – Whom leprosy o'ertake!
* (old useless horse) dobbin, hack, jade, plug
* (old useless horse) bum (racing )
Probably from a (etyl) source; compare Swedish .
To repeatedly remind or complain to someone in an annoying way, often about insignificant matters.
To act inappropriately in the eyes of peers, to backstab, to verbally abuse.
To bother with persistent memories.
Other sorts of persistent annoyance, e.g.:
- The notion that he forgot something nagged him the rest of the day.
- A nagging pain in his left knee
- A nagging north wind
(offensive, racial slur) nigger
* 1959 , Don Robertson, The three days
* 1961 , Robert Hale Strong, A Yankee private's Civil War
- He always thought one step ahead of the nigs .
* 1967 , Frank Hercules, I want a black doll
- In a field near the house was a nigger working a poor old broken-down mule and another nigger sowing wheat. When we came up, both nigs quit work and stared at us.
- What part did she play in your marrying a nig — a black man — nig, nig — Negro?