Nife vs Nief - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between nife and nief
is that nife
is (geology) while nief
is a serf or bondsman born into servitude or nief
can be (chiefly|scotland|ireland|northern england) a fist.
* Nife, NiFe
(geology) nickel–iron, especially the material that makes up the core of the Earth
From (etyl), from (etyl) .
A serf or bondsman born into servitude.
* 1886 , "The Fight at the Pass of Coleshill", The Red Dragon "Notes and Queries", page 471
- That is, because the girl was his nief , or bondwoman, the daughter of one of his villains
From Old Norse hnefi'', ''nefi , of unknown origin.
(chiefly, Scotland, Ireland, Northern England) A fist.
*1934 , (Lewis Grassic Gibbon), Grey Granite'', Polygon 2006 (''A Scots Quair ), p. 597:
*:Ake thought if ever he was walking alone on a dark-like night and Jimmy came on him, he with his bare nieves and Jimmy with a knife, he'd stand as much chance of getting home safe as a celluloid cat that had strayed into hell….
* 1989 , (Anthony Burgess), The Devil's Mode :
* 2004 , Jeff Silverman, The Greatest Boxing Stories Ever Told , p. 160:
- Nestorius exploded at that and hit out. He roared and dismissed the class, hitting out with his old mottled gnarled niefs .
- "But t' Maister can stop and hit rarely. Happen he'll mak' him joomp when he gets his nief upon him."