From Middle English ).
Any of many swimming, often edible crustaceans, chiefly of the infraorder Caridea or the suborder Dendrobranchiata, with slender legs, long whiskers and a long abdomen.
* 1851 , "A Lady of Charleston" (Sarah Rutledge), The Carolina Housewife , 2013,
* 1998 , Claude E. Boyd, Pond Aquaculture Water Quality Management ,
- Butter well a deep dish, upon which place a thick layer of pounded biscuit; having picked and boiled your shrimps', put them upon the biscuit; a layer of ' shrimps , with small pieces of butter, a little pepper, mace or nutmeg.
* 2011 , Will Holtham, Home Port Cookbook: Beloved Recipes from Martha's Vineyard ,
- Shrimp' farming is in its infancy in Africa. but Asia has most of the world's ' shrimp farms.
* 2004 , Gary C. B. Poore, Shane T. Ahyong, Marine Decapod Crustacea of Southern Australia: A Guide to Identification ,
- America's favorite seafood, shrimp' has always been a big seller at the Home Port. On any given day, we usually served around 40 to 50 pounds of ' shrimp .
(uncountable) The flesh of such crustaceans.
(slang) A small, puny or unimportant person.
- Most shrimps' belong to one of several families of the Infraorder Caridea (Chapter 4). However, coral ' shrimps and Venus shrimps are so different from the rest that a separate infraorder is warranted.
To fish for shrimp .
* 1986 , The Code of Federal Regulations of the United States of America ,
* 1996 , Anthony V. Margavio, Caught in the Net: The Conflict Between Shrimpers and Conservationists ,
- Fishing, shrimping and crabbing are permitted on designated areas of the refuge subject to the following conditions:.
* 2007 , Jerry Wayne Caines, A Caines Family Tradition: A Native Son's Story of Fishing, Hunting and Duck Decoys in the Lowcountry ,
- Although the line is not always sharply drawn, offshore shrimping' and inshore ' shrimping require different strategies.
- There were times we shrimped' in the same boat due to breakdowns and such, but for the most part we each had our own separate boat. We started out using outboard motor boats. However, ' shrimping with an outboard is pretty hard.
Compare (etyl) , (etyl) schrumpfen.
A pungent paste made from fermented fish or shrimp in Burmese cuisine.