Taxonomy vs Nellie - What's the difference?
As a noun taxonomy
is the science or the technique used to make a classification.
As a proper noun nellie is
a diminutive of the female given names eleanor and helen popular as a formal given name at the turn of the 20th century.
The science or the technique used to make a classification.
A classification; especially , a classification in a hierarchical system.
(taxonomy, uncountable) The science of finding, describing, classifying and naming organisms.
* alpha taxonomy
* folk taxonomy
* scientific taxonomy
(en proper noun
A diminutive of the female given names Eleanor and Helen. Popular as a formal given name at the turn of the 20th century.
* 1860 Mary Jane Holmes: Cousin Maude . BiblioBazaar,LLC, 2007. ISBN 1434652122 page 14:
- "Then we will call her Matilda," said he, "as it is a maxim of mine never to spoil children by giving them pet names."
- "But you call your daughter Nellie ," suggested the little widow, and in her soft, blue eye there shone a mischievous twinkle, as if she fancied she had beaten him in his own argument. - - -
* 2007 Rachel M. Harper: Brass Ankle Blues . Simon&Schuster 2007. ISBN 0743296583 page 88:
- "That is sister Kelsey's idea, and as she is very fond of Nellie I do not interfere.
English diminutives of female given names
- "Eleanor, that's kind of an old lady name. I like Nellie' better. ' Nellie Kincaid, that's got a nice ring to it. It sounds like you're a singer or something.