Neck vs Necklike - What's the difference?
As a noun neck
is the part of body connecting the head and the trunk found in humans and some animals.
As a verb neck
is to hang by the neck; strangle; kill, eliminate.
As an adjective necklike is
resembling a neck or some aspect of one.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
The part of body connecting the head and the trunk found in humans and some animals.
The corresponding part in some other anatomical contexts.
The part of a shirt, dress etc., which fits a person's neck .
The tapered part of a bottle toward the opening.
(botany) The slender tubelike extension atop an archegonium, through which the sperm swim to reach the egg.
(music) The extension of any stringed instrument on which a fingerboard is mounted
A long narrow tract of land projecting from the main body, or a narrow tract connecting two larger tracts.
(engineering) A reduction in size near the end of an object, formed by a groove around it.
- Archegonia are surrounded early in their development by the juvenile perianth, through the slender beak of which the elongated neck of the fertilized archegonium protrudes.
The constriction between the root and crown of a tooth.
(architecture) The gorgerin of a capital.
The small part of a gun between the chase and the swell of the muzzle.
- a neck forming the journal of a shaft
* neck and neck/neck-and-neck
* neckerchief (from kerchief)
* neck of the woods
* neck ring
* polo neck, polo-neck
* stick one's neck out
To hang by the neck; strangle; kill, eliminate
(US) To make love; to snog; to intently kiss or cuddle.
To drink rapidly.
* 2006 , Sarah Johnstone, Tom Masters, London
- ''Alan and Betty were necking in the back of a car when Betty's dad caught them.
To decrease in diameter.
* 2007 , John H. Bickford, Introduction to the Design and Behavior of Bolted Joints ,
- In the dim light, punters sit sipping raspberry-flavoured Tokyo martinis, losing the freestyle sushi off their chopsticks or necking Asahi beer.
- Since this temperature would place the bolt in its creep range, it will slowly stretch, necking down as it does so. Eventually it will get too thin to support the weight, and the bolt will break.
* (kiss or cuddle intently ): French kiss, grope, pet, snuggle, smooch
Resembling a neck or some aspect of one.