Program vs Mutex - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between program and mutex
is that program
is program, programme while mutex
* programme (see usage notes)
A set of structured activities.
A leaflet listing information about a play, game or other activity.
A performance of a show or other broadcast on radio or television.
(lb) A software application, or a collection of software applications, designed to perform a specific task.
A particular mindset or method of doing things.
*Ellis in the movie Die Hard
*:Come on, John, why don’t you get with the program and tell him where the detonators are?
* Usage of program'' and ''programme :
** US: program is the only spelling normally used.
** UK: programme'' is used in all cases except for computer code, in which case ''program'' is generally used. Older sources may use ''programme for computer code.
** Canada: both program'' and ''programme'' are used, but ''programme is more common.
** Australia: program'' is endorsed by the Australian government, but ''programme is most common.
** New Zealand: programme'' is favoured by New Zealand dictionaries, and is endorsed by government usage; ''program is rarely seen outside the computing meaning.
* (leaflet): playbill (for a play )
* (software application): application
* programme block
* program counter
* program evaluation and review technique
* program guide
* program music
* program slicer
* program trading
To enter a program or other instructions into (a computer or other electronic device) to instruct it to do a particular task.
* He programmed the DVR to record his favorite show.
To develop (software) by writing program code.
To put together the schedule of an event.
* Mary will program Tuesday’s festivities.
To cause to automatically behave in a particular way.
* The lab rat was programmed to press the lever when the bell rang.
- I programmed a small game as a demonstration.
(computing, programming) An object in a program that serves as a lock, used to negotiate mutual exclusion among threads.
To apply a mutex to.
* 2002 , "Steve Connet", Re: best way to interrupt a select() call in a (POSIX) thread?'' (on newsgroup ''comp.programming.threads )
- Or you can have a single pipe that is mutexed' so each thread can only write to the pipe exclusively. Alternatively, you can have each thread put the finished fd in a globally ' mutexed list.