Plentiful vs Munificent - What's the difference?
| Related terms
Plentiful is a related term of munificent.
As adjectives the difference between plentiful and munificent
is that plentiful
is existing in large number or ample amount while munificent
is (of a person or group) very liberal in giving or bestowing.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
* plentifull (archaic)
Existing in large number or ample amount.
- a plentiful harvest
- a plentiful supply of water
Yielding abundance; fruitful.
- She accumulated a plentiful collection of books.
* Francis Bacon
- Some years, the tree is a plentiful source of apples.
(obsolete) lavish; profuse; prodigal
* Francis Bacon
- If it be a long winter, it is commonly a more plentiful year.
- He that is plentiful in expenses will hardly be preserved from decay.
* See also
(of a person or group) Very liberal in giving or bestowing.
* 1859 , , A Tale of Two Cities , ch. 30:
* 1974 April 8, "
- Tellson's Bank . . . was a munificent house, and extended great liberality to old customers who had fallen from their high estate.
Politics: Milkmen Skimming Off More Cream," Time (retrieved 5 Sept 2013):
* 2008 March 20, , "
- [M]ilk producers are among the most munificent backers of political campaigns in the U.S.
Broad-Minded Museum," New York Review of Books (retrieved 5 Sept 2013):
Very generous; lavish.
* 1886 , , Jo's Boys , ch. 1:
- An exceptionally munificent benefactor of several institutions, he has given $100 million each to MIT and Harvard.
* 1914 , , A Daughter of the Dons , ch. 25:
- On the hill, where kites used to be flown, stood the fine college which Mr Laurence's munificent legacy had built.
* 1969 April 11, "
- It was all very well for this casual youth to make her a present of a half million acres of land in this debonair way, but she could not persuade herself to accept so munificent a gift.
Business: Up, Up and Away with Wages," Time (retrieved 5 Sept 2013):
- The machinists finally agreed to a munificent increase averaging 5.7% a year for three years.
* bounteous, generous, liberal