Any small rodent of the genus Mus .
*:At twilight in the summer there is never anybody to fear—man, woman, or cat—in the chambers and at that hour the mice come out. They do not eat parchment or foolscap or red tape, but they eat the luncheon crumbs.
(lb) A member of the many small rodent and marsupial species resembling such a rodent.
A quiet or shy person.
(lb) (plural'' mice''' ''or, rarely,'' ' mouses ) An input device that is moved over a pad or other flat surface to produce a corresponding movement of a pointer on a graphical display.
(lb) A turn or lashing of spun yarn or small stuff, or a metallic clasp or fastening, uniting the point and shank of a hook to prevent its unhooking or straighening out.
A match used in firing guns or blasting.
(lb) A small model of (a fragment of) (Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory) with desirable properties (depending on the context).
* (small rodent) rodent
* (small rodent) rat
* (input device) joystick, trackpad, trackball, pointing stick
* (as) quiet as a mouse
* cat and mouse
* church mouse
* deer mouse
* house mouse
* kangaroo mouse
* mouseable, mousable
* mouse button
* mouse click
* mouse mat
* mouse pad
* optical mouse
* play cat and mouse
* poor as a church mouse
* when the cat's away the mice will play
To move cautiously or furtively, in the manner of a mouse (the rodent) (frequently used in the phrasal verb to mouse around ).
To hunt or catch mice (the rodents), usually of cats.
(nautical) To close the mouth of a hook by a careful binding of marline or wire.
(computing) To navigate by means of a computer mouse.
* 1988 , MacUser: Volume 4
- Captain Higgins moused the hook with a bit of marline to prevent the block beckets from falling out under slack.
* 2009 , Daniel Tunkelang, Faceted Search (page 35)
- I had just moused to the File menu and the pull-down menu repeated the menu bar's hue a dozen shades lighter.
(obsolete, nonce, transitive) To tear, as a cat devours a mouse.
- Unlike the Flamenco work, the Relation Browser allows users to quickly explore a document space using dynamic queries issued by mousing over facet elements in the interface.
- [Death] mousing the flesh of men.
* mouse around
* mouse over
, page2=mouse (computing)
, page4=Computer mouse