Moonshine vs Moonseed - What's the difference?
| Related terms
Moonshine is a related term of moonseed.
As nouns the difference between moonshine and moonseed
is that moonshine
is (literally) the light of the moon; moonlight while moonseed
is (botany) a twining plant of the genus (taxlink
), eponymous of the menispermae or moonseed family.
(literally) The light of the moon; moonlight.
Illegally distilled liquor, so named because much of the manufacturing process is often conducted without artificial light at night when the moon is shining.
* 1920 , , The Understanding Heart , Chapter IV
- They watered down the moonshine .
- “Wish I'd been more polite to that girl,” the sheriff remarked regretfully. “ I ain't had a bite to eat since four o'clock this morning, and I'm hungry as a wolverine. … I know she'd have give me another drink of that old moonshine she has.”
* , 2012 interview.
- He was talking moonshine .
(mathematics) A branch of pure mathematics relating the monster group to an invariant of elliptic functions; see (monstrous moonshine).
(US) A spiced dish of eggs and fried onions.
(obsolete) A month.
- "We forget what we have learned in the last 60 years. At university I once asked one of my lecturers why he was not talking to us about continental drift and I was told, sneeringly, that if I could I prove there was a force that could move continents, then he might think about it. The idea was moonshine , I was informed."
- Wherefore should I / Stand in the plague of custom and permit / The curiosity of nations to deprive me / For that I am some twelve or fourteen moonshines / Lag of a brother?
* (moonlight) moonbeam
* (illegal liquor) bathtub gin, bootleg, corn liquor, hooch, mountain dew, white lightning, coon-dick, coondick
* moonshiney, moonshiny
(botany) A twining plant of the genus (taxlink), eponymous of the Menispermae or moonseed family
- ''The crescent-shaped (hence their name) moonseeds bear black fruits