As nouns the difference between poison and mithridate
is that poison
is a substance that is harmful or lethal to a living organism while mithridate
is (obsolete) a universal antidote against poison.
As a verb poison
is to use poison to kill or paralyse somebody.
A substance that is harmful or lethal to a living organism.
Something that harms a person or thing.
- We used a poison to kill the weeds.
(informal) A drink; liquor.
- Gossip is a malicious poison .
- - What's your poison ?
- - I'll have a glass of whisky.
* (substance that is harmful) atter, bane, contaminant, pollutant, toxin, venom
* poison gas
* poison hemlock
* poison ivy
* poison oak
* poison-pen letter
* poison pill
* poison sumac
* rat poison
* what's your poison
To use poison to kill or paralyse somebody
To pollute; to cause some part of the environment to become poisonous
- The assassin poisoned the king.
To cause something to become much worse
- That factory is poisoning the river.
- Suspicion will poison their relationship.
To cause someone to hate or to have unfair negative opinions
- He poisoned the mood in the room with his non-stop criticism.
- She's poisoned him against all his old friends.
* (to pollute) contaminate, pollute, taint
* (to cause to become worse) corrupt, taint
* lead poisoning
* poisoned chalice
* radiation poisoning
* mithridate cress
* mithridate pennywort