As nouns the difference between methane and carbane
is that methane
is (organic compound|uncountable) the simplest aliphatic hydrocarbon, ch4
, being a constituent of natural gas while carbane
is (nonstandard|organic compound) a proposed systematic name for methane.
(organic compound, uncountable) The simplest aliphatic hydrocarbon, CH4, being a constituent of natural gas.
(organic chemistry, countable) Any of very many derivatives of methane.
- Cattle emit a large amount of methane .
* methyl hydride (appears in some chemistry literature)
* carbon tetrahydride (qualifier)
* methane gas (an often-used term, although it really means methane )
(nonstandard, organic compound) A proposed systematic name for methane.
* This is not recommended by IUPAC