Animate vs Mercurial - What's the difference?
As a verb animate
As a noun mercurial is
(obsolete) any of the plants known as mercury.
As an adjective mercurial is
(often capitalized, see (mercurial
)) pertaining to the planet mercury.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
That which lives.
Possessing the quality or ability of motion.
(grammar, of a noun or pronoun) Having a referent that includes a human or animal.
- She is an engaging and animate speaker.
(grammar) Inflected to agree with an animate noun or pronoun.
- Nouns can be singular or plural, and one of two genders, animate or inanimate.
* (that lives) alive, live, living
* (possessing the quality or ability of motion)
* (dynamic) active, dynamic, energetic
* (living) inanimate
* (possessing the quality or ability of motion) fixed, immobile, static, stationary, still
* (dynamic) static
* (sense) inanimate
To impart motion or the appearance of motion to.
To give spirit or vigour to; to stimulate or enliven; to inspirit.
- If we animate the model, we can see the complexity of the action.
- The more to animate the people, he stood on high and cried unto them with a loud voice.
(obsolete) Any of the plants known as mercury.
(astrology) Someone born under the influence of Mercury.
(often capitalized, see (Mercurial)) Pertaining to the planet Mercury.
(often capitalized, see (Mercurial)) Pertaining to the Roman god Mercury, the god of trade; hence, money-making; crafty..
* J. Q. Adams
(astrology) Born under the influence of the planet Mercury, and having such characteristics.
Of, or pertaining to the element mercury; containing mercury; caused by the action of mercury or quicksilver.
Having a volatile or lively character; quick-witted, changeable, animated.
* 1723 , Charles Walker, Memoirs of Sally Salisbury , I:
- the mercurial wand of commerce
- From the natural Mercurial Briskness of her Temper, a sedentary Life had ever been her Aversion [...].
* mercurial eczema
* mercurial glossitis
* mercurial ointment
* mercurial phosphorus
* mercurial pneumatic trough
* mercurial rash
* mercurial trough
* mercurialisation, mercurialization
* mercurialise, mercurialize