Medicine vs Medicalize - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between medicine and medicalize
is that medicine
is (rare|obsolete) to treat with medicine while medicalize
is to make medical; to convert or reduce to a branch of medicine.
As a noun medicine
is a substance which specifically promotes healing when ingested or consumed in some way.
* medicin (obsolete)
A substance which specifically promotes healing when ingested or consumed in some way.
A treatment or cure.
The study of the cause, diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of disease or illness.
The profession of physicians, surgeons and related specialisms; those who practice medicine.
Ritual Native American magic used (notably by a medicine man) to promote a desired outcome in healing, hunting, warfare etc.
(obsolete) black magic, superstition.
(obsolete) A philtre or love potion.
* 1597 , , II. ii. 18:
(obsolete) A physician.
* 1598 , , II. i. 72:
- If the rascal have not given me medicines' to make me love him, I'll be hanged. It could not be else. I have drunk ' medicines .
- I have seen a medicine
- That's able to breathe life into a stone
* (treatment) regimen, course, program, prescription
* (substance) drug, prescription, pharmaceutical, elixir
* See also
* See also
* Ayurvedic medicine
* clinical medicine
* Edison's medicine
* energy medicine
* evidence-based medicine
* folk medicine
* forced medicine
* indigenous medicine
* medicine ball
* medicine dance
* medicine man
* medicine show
* organized medicine
* take one's medicine
* taste of one's own medicine
* traditional medicine
(rare, obsolete) To treat with medicine.
* Prescription Desk Reference,
Prescription Drug Information:
" in the Merriam-Webster On-line dictionary
" in the Hutchinson Encyclopaedia
, Helicon Publishing LTD 2007.
1000 English basic words
To make medical; to convert or reduce to a branch of medicine.
* 1996 , Dion Farquhar, The Other Machine: Discourse and Reproductive Technologies
* 1999 , Judith Rooks, Charles S Mahan, Midwifery and Childbirth
- The sexual objectification and violation of women is made invisible because technological reproduction has turned medicalized pornography into education...
* 2004 , Leonore Tiefer, Sex is Not a Natural Act and Other Essays
- Early in this century American obstetrics became committed to a path that has led to a highly medicalized approach to the care of women during pregnancy...
- ...sexual problems would have to be repackaged and medicalized .