Mediate vs Medium - What's the difference?
| Related terms
Medium is a related term of mediate.
Mediate is a related term of medium.
As adjectives the difference between mediate and medium
is that mediate
is acting through a mediating agency while medium
is (obsolete) arithmetically average.
As a verb mediate
is to resolve differences, or to bring about a settlement, between conflicting parties.
As a noun medium is
the nature of the surrounding environment, eg solid, liquid, gas, vacuum, or a specific substance such as a solvent.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
To resolve differences, or to bring about a settlement, between conflicting parties.
To intervene between conflicting parties in order to resolve differences or bring about a settlement.
To divide into two equal parts.
To act as an intermediary causal or communicative agent; convey
Acting through a mediating agency.
* (Oliver Sacks)
Intermediate between extremes.
- Vygotsky saw the development of language and mental powers as neither learned, in the ordinary way, nor emerging epigenetically, but as being social and mediate in nature, as arising from the interaction of adult and child, and as internalizing the cultural instrument of language for the processes of thought.
Gained or effected by a medium or condition.
* Sir W. Hamilton
- (Francis Bacon)
- An act of mediate knowledge is complex.
The nature of the surrounding environment, e.g. solid, liquid, gas, vacuum, or a specific substance such as a solvent.
The material or empty space through which signals, waves or forces pass.
* Francis Bacon
- Whether any other liquors, being made mediums , cause a diversity of sound from water, it may be tried.
(senseid) A format for communicating or presenting information.
The materials used to finish a workpiece using a mass finishing or abrasive blasting process.
A nutrient solution for the growth of cells ''in vitro .
* 1996 , Samuel Baron (editor), Medical Microbiology :
- I must bring together / All these extremes; and must remove all mediums .
The means or channel by which an aim is achieved.
A liquid base which carries pigment in paint.
A tool used for painting or drawing.
- In some instances one can take advantage of differential carbohydrate fermentation capabilities of microorganisms by incorporating one or more carbohydrates in the medium' along with a suitable pH indicator. Such '''media''' are called differential ' media (e.g., eosin methylene blue or MacConkey agar) and are commonly used to isolate enteric bacilli.
Someone who supposedly conveys information from the spirit world.
Anything having a measurement intermediate between extremes, such as a garment or container.
A person whom garments or apparel of intermediate size fit.
A half-pint serving of Guinness (or other stout in some regions).
A middle place or degree.
- Acrylics, oils, charcoal and gouache are all mediums I used in my painting.
- a happy medium
(dated) An average; sometimes the mathematical mean.
- The just medium lies between pride and abjection.
(logic) The mean or middle term of a syllogism, that by which the extremes are brought into connection.
- a medium of six years of war, and six years of peace
* (sense) differential medium
(obsolete) Arithmetically average.
Of intermediate size, degree, amount etc.
Of meat, cooked to a point greater than rare but less than well done; typically, so the meat is still red in the centre.
* See also