* 1526 , (William Tyndale), trans. (Bible) , (w), XXV:
* , II.8:
- I was anhongred, and ye gave me meate . I thursted, and ye gave me drinke.
* 1623 , (William Shakespeare), (Timon of Athens) :
- And he was pleased to accompany them in their death; for, he pined away by abstaining from all manner of meat .
* 1879 , (Silas Hocking),
- Your greatest want is, you want much of meat : / Why should you want? Behold, the Earth hath Rootes.
* 1936 , (Djuna Barnes), Nightwood , Faber & Faber, 2007, p.13:
- As full of fun and frolic as an egg is full of meat .
- The way she said ‘dinner’ and the way she said ‘champagne’ gave meat and liquid their exact difference.
- And thenne he blewe his horne that the maronners had yeuen hym / And whanne they within the Castel herd that horne / they put forthe many knyghtes and there they stode vpon the walles / and said with one voys / welcome be ye to this castel // and sire Palomydes entred in to the castel / And within a whyle he was serued with many dyuerse metes
* 1526 , (William Tyndale), trans. Bible , (w), ch. 8:
(label) The flesh of an animal used as food.
* 2010 , Andy Atkins, The Guardian , 19 October:
- And hit cam to passe, thatt Jesus satt at meate in his housse.
(label) Any relatively thick, solid part of a fruit, nut etc.
- While people who eat no meat at all are identified and identifiable as vegetarians, there is no commonly accepted term for people who eat it only a couple of times a week and are selective about its quality.
(label) A penis.
* 1993 , Nancy Friday, Women on top: how real life has changed women's sexual fantasies ,
* 2006 John Patrick, Play Hard, Score Big ,
- He sits me on the floor (the shower is still beating down on us). He lays me down and slides his huge meat into me.
* 2011 , Wade Wright, Two Straight Guys ,
- Just the tight, hot caress of his bowels surrounding my meat gave me pleasures I had only dreamed of before that day.
(label) A type of meat, by anatomic position and provenance.
- Both men were completely, and very actively into this face fucking! Suddenly Bill pulled off of Jim's meat and said,
(label) The best or most substantial part of something.
* 1577 , (Gerald Eades Bentley), The Arte of Angling
(label) The sweet spot of a bat or club (in cricket, golf, baseball etc.).
- it is time to begin "A Dialogue between Viator and Piscator," which is the meat of the matter.
(label) A totem, or (by metonymy) a clan or clansman which uses it.
* 1949 , Oceania , Vol.XX
* 1973 , M. Fennel & A. Grey, Nucoorilma
- When a stranger comes to an aboriginal camp or settlement in north-western NSW, he is asked by one of the older aborigines: "What meat (clan) are you?"
* 1977 , A. K. Eckermann, Group Organisation and Identity
- Granny Sullivan was ‘dead against’ the match at first because they did not know "what my meat was and because I was a bit on the fair side."
* 1992 , P. Taylor, Tell it Like it Is
- Some people maintained that she was "sung" because her family had killed or eaten the "meat " (totem) of another group.
* 1993, J. Janson, Gunjies
- Our familyusually married the red kangaroo "meat ".
- That’s a beautiful goanna.. He’s my meat , can’t eat him.
The meaning "flesh of an animal used as food" is often understood to exclude (l) and other (l). For example, the rules for abstaining from meat in the Roman Catholic Church do not extend to fish; likewise, some people who consider themselves (l)s also eat fish (though the more precise term for such a person is (l)).
* See also
* (penis) see
* beat the meat
* dead meat
* fresh meat
* meat and two veg
* meat draw
* meat hook / meathook
* meat pie
* meat raffle
* meat tray
* meat wagon
* meat safe
Absence of, or abstention from, meat; vegetarianism.
* 1919 , Frank Hunter Potter, The Naval Reserve?
* 1969 , Robert Payne, The life and death of Mahatma Gandhi?
- When Hoover's conservating pen / Cut down our steak and sausage ration / With one accord we cried "AMEN," / And meatlessness became the fashion.
- But though Mohandas found himself arguing with his friend in defense of meatlessness , he never seriously contemplated breaking the vow.