Barony vs Manor - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between barony and manor
is that barony
is a dominion ruled by a baron or baroness, often part of a larger kingdom or empire while manor
is a landed estate.
A dominion ruled by a baron or baroness, often part of a larger kingdom or empire.
A medieval land measure equal to 4000 acres (100 hides).
* manour (obsolete)
A landed estate.
The main house of such an estate or a similar residence; a mansion.
A district over which a feudal lord could exercise certain rights and privileges in medieval western Europe.
The lord's residence and seat of control in such a district.
(rft-sense) (UK, slang) Any home area or territory in which authority is exercised, often in a police or criminal context.
* 2006 , Eugene McLaughlin, The New Policing , page 23
(London, slang) One's neighbourhood.
* 2005 , July 5, Mark Oliver, "
- Dixon, who was finally promoted to sergeant in 1964, policed his 'Dock Green' manor until May 1976 and 'Evening, all' had become a national catchphrase.
Beckham kicks off last minute Olympics campaigning", The Guardian
- Beckham was asked what it would mean for the Olympics to be held in his old neighbourhood.
* 2012', July 30, Shekhar Bhatia, "
- "You mean my manor ?" Beckham replied, in fluent East End argot. "I'm obviously from the East End, so it would be incredible for me if it was held there. It could go down as one of the best games in history."
My East End '''manor is now as smart as Notting Hill", ''The Evening Standard
* 2012 , August 19, Robert Chalmers, "
Golden balls: West Ham United's co-owner reveals his cunning plan for the Olympic stadium", The Independent
- And, Gold adds, he can understand that West Ham's famously dedicated supporters, Londoners though they themselves mainly are, may mistrust businessmen "coming into the club and talking about loyalty. But this is my manor . I worked on Stratford Market, where the Olympic Stadium sits now. I remember the bomb falling on West Ham football ground and thinking: my God, they're coming after me. West Ham is my passion."