As an adjective canny
is careful, prudent, cautious.
As a proper noun manny is
Careful, prudent, cautious.
Knowing, shrewd, astute.
(Scotland, Northumbria) Pleasant, fair.
- (Sir Walter Scott)
* 1783 , (Robert Burns), "Green Grow the Rashes O", Songs and Ballads
- She's a canny lass hor like!
- But gie me a cannie hour at e'en,
- My arms about my dearie O;
- An' warl'y cares, an' warl'y men,
(Northumbria) Very or much.
- Mae a' gae tapsalteerie O!
- That's a canny big horse, man!
(informal) A male nanny (for children).
*2006 [Perry Taylor] has popped up in supermarket tabloids as the male nanny – or "manny" – for Britney Spears, who has a 9-month-old son, Sean Preston and is pregnant. —
CBS News, 9 June 2006