Manitu vs Manitou - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between manitu and manitou
is that manitu
is while manitou
is a god or spirit as the object of religious awe or ritual among some american indians.
A god or spirit as the object of religious awe or ritual among some American Indians.
* 1826 , James Fenimore Cooper, The Last of the Mohicans , 1888 p. 319:
* 1987 , John A Grim, The Shaman , p. 143:
- If it were possible to translate the comprehensive and melodious language in which he spoke, the ode might read something like the following: "Manitou ! Manitou! Manitou! Thou art great, thou art good, thou art wise: Manitou! Manitou! Thou art just."
- Each Ojibway shaman's method of communication with the manitou patron is unique and is related to a personal dream experience.
Sometimes used as a proper noun, in which case it is often capitalized.
* Oxford English Dictionary , Third (online) Edition