Tampered vs Manhandled - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between tampered and manhandled
is that tampered
) while manhandled
A person or thing that tamps.
A tool used to tamp something down, such as tobacco in a pipe.
To alter by making unauthorized changes; to meddle.
(in professional sports) To discuss future contracts against league rules with a player.
(nautical) To move something heavy by force of men, without aid of levers, pulleys, machine, or tackles.
* 1876 , , "Bridegroom Dick":
- I see him—Tom—on horse-block standing,
- Trumpet at mouth, thrown up all amain,
- An elephant's bugle, vociferous demanding
- Of topmen aloft in the hurricane of rain,
- "Letting that sail there your faces flog?
To assault or beat up a person.
* 1918 , , The Forty-Niners , ch. 13:
- Manhandle it, men, and you'll get the good grog!"
To mishandle; to handle roughly; to mangle.
* 1996 April 21, Barbara Stewart, "
- The polls were guarded by bullies who did not hesitate at command to manhandle any decent citizen indicated by the local leaders.
Another Harvest: One Farm, One Life," New York Times (retrieved 6 Nov 2012):
To control (a machine, vehicle, situation, etc.) by means of physical strength.
* 2010 July 3, Juliet Macur, "
- She yells at people who manhandle the tomatoes or break the beans.
Riders Gird for Four Challenging, Engrossing Stages of the Tour," New York Times (retrieved 6 Nov 2012):
- Riders who succeed on this terrain are able to manhandle their bike as it rattles over the bumps.