A large heavy wooden beetle; a mallet for driving anything with force; a maul.
A heavy blow.
An old game played with malls or mallets and balls. See pall mall.
A place where the game of mall was played.
A public walk; a level shaded walk.
(US, Australia) A pedestrianised street, especially a shopping precinct.
- Part of the area was laid out in gravel walks, and planted with elms; and these convenient and frequented walks obtained the name of the City Mall .
* 2002 , Alexander Garvin, The American City: What Works, What Doesn?t ,
- pedestrian mall
An enclosed shopping centre.
* 2004 , Ralph E. Warner, Get a Life: You Don?t Need a Million to Retire Well ,
- America?s first pedestrianized shopping mall' opened in 1959 in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Like most later pedestrian ' malls , it was intended to revive what everybody thought was a decaying downtown.
* 2010 , Greg Holden, Starting an Online Business For Dummies ,
- Every day, at about the time the rest of us go to work, groups of retirees gather at many of America?s enclosed shopping malls .
- In addition to Web site kits, ISPs, and businesses that specialize in Web hosting, online shopping malls provide another form of Web hosting.
* mall rat
* shopping mall
To beat with a mall, or mallet; to beat with something heavy; to bruise.
To build up with the development of shopping malls.
(informal) To shop at the mall.