Island vs Lombok - What's the difference?
As proper nouns the difference between island and lombok
is that island
is iceland while lombok
is an island in west nusa tenggara province, indonesia.
* (l) (nonstandard)
* (l), (l), (l) (obsolete)
A contiguous area of land, smaller than a continent, totally surrounded by water.
* 2002 , Gordon L. Rottman, World War 2 Pacific island guide
An entity surrounded by other entities that are very different from itself.
- Sumatra is the second largest island in the East Indies and the fourth largest in the world covering 182,859 square miles.
- an island of tranquility (a calm place surrounded by a noisy environment)
* 1939 , Deseret News, October 27 1939, Roosevelt Reaffirms American Neutrality
- an island of colour on a butterfly's wing
A superstructure on an aircraft carrier's deck.
(chiefly, UK) A traffic island.
- King Leopold, speaking in fluent English during his six minute broadcast, said Belgium stood side by side with Holland "an Island of peace in the interests of all"
- the island in the middle of a roundabout
* (land surrounded by water) (l), (l)
* (an entity surrounded by other very different entities) oasis
* coney island
* desert island
* floating island
* heat island
* high island
* island dispenser
* island display
* island position
* island state
* island universe
* low island
* no man is an island
* safety island
* security island
* the Island
* tidal island
To surround with water; make into an island
* 1933 , Harriet Monroe, Poetry: Volume 42
To set, dot (as if) with islands
* , (A Shropshire Lad), XXVII, lines 1-2
- We paused at little river cities along the way and walked upon their bushy dikes, and heard tales of overflows in flood seasons, when four feet or more of water islanded the houses.
- ''High the vanes of (Shrewsbury) gleam
- Islanded in Severn stream''.
* cay, key
(en proper noun
an island in West Nusa Tenggara province, Indonesia