Persist vs Linger - What's the difference?
In lang=en terms the difference between persist and linger
is that persist
is to continue to exist while linger
is to remain alive or existent although still proceeding toward death or extinction; to die gradually.
As verbs the difference between persist and linger
is that persist
is to go on stubbornly or resolutely while linger
is to stay or remain in a place or situation, especially as if unwilling to depart or not easily able to do so.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
To go on stubbornly or resolutely.
To repeat an utterance.
To continue to exist.
(computing) To cause to persist; make permanent.
* 2006 , Marco Bellinaso, ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming
* 2009 , Alistair Croll, Sean Power, Complete Web Monitoring
- This would not be saved after his session terminates because we don't have an actual user identity to allow us to persist the settings.
- While hashtags aren't formally part of Twitter, some clients, such as Tweetdeck, will persist hashtags across replies to create a sort of message threading.
* (go on stubbornly or resolutely) persevere, see also
* (continue to exist) last, remain
* persistence / persistency
(cognate terms using -sist)
To stay or remain in a place or situation, especially as if unwilling to depart or not easily able to do so.
* 1859 , , A Tale of Two Cities , ch. 15:
* 1891 , , "Mrs. Manstey's View":
- His tone lingered in the air, almost like the tone of a musical instrument.
* 2011 April 25, Alice Park, "
- She lingered in the window.
Upgrading the Disaster," Time :
To remain alive or existent although still proceeding toward death or extinction; to die gradually.
* 1887 , , The Woodlanders , ch. 14:
- It takes into account . . . predictions of how long radioactive contaminants will linger in the soil and water near the nuclear facility.
* 1904 , , "Asmund and Signy" in The Brown Fairy Book :
- He lingered through the day, and died that evening as the sun went down.
(often followed by on) To consider or contemplate for a period of time; to engage in analytical thinking or discussion.
* 2011 April 14, Michael Scherer, "
- During his absence the queen fell ill, and after lingering for some time she died.
Trump's Political Reality Show: Will the Donald Really Run for President?," Time :
- Trump doesn't linger on the poll.
* linger on