Ligger vs Linger - What's the difference?
As a noun ligger
is the horizontal timber of a scaffolding; a ledger or ligger
can be (slang) a freeloader or hanger-on, especially in the music industry or ligger
can be a baited line attached to a float, for night fishing.
As a verb linger is
to stay or remain in a place or situation, especially as if unwilling to depart or not easily able to do so.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
From (etyl) . See (l).
The horizontal timber of a scaffolding; a ledger.
A nether millstone.
(slang) A freeloader or hanger-on, especially in the music industry.
* Peaches Geldof may be a top showbiz ligger – but now she’s got a group of her own.'' –
"Peaches gets own band", ''The Sun , 29 Aug 2006
* The ligger caused a scene when he begged one reveller to find him some gear – and offered sexual favours in return.'' –
"Wicked Whispers", ''The Mirror , 29 Jan 2005
A baited line attached to a float, for night fishing.
To stay or remain in a place or situation, especially as if unwilling to depart or not easily able to do so.
* 1859 , , A Tale of Two Cities , ch. 15:
* 1891 , , "Mrs. Manstey's View":
- His tone lingered in the air, almost like the tone of a musical instrument.
* 2011 April 25, Alice Park, "
- She lingered in the window.
Upgrading the Disaster," Time :
To remain alive or existent although still proceeding toward death or extinction; to die gradually.
* 1887 , , The Woodlanders , ch. 14:
- It takes into account . . . predictions of how long radioactive contaminants will linger in the soil and water near the nuclear facility.
* 1904 , , "Asmund and Signy" in The Brown Fairy Book :
- He lingered through the day, and died that evening as the sun went down.
(often followed by on) To consider or contemplate for a period of time; to engage in analytical thinking or discussion.
* 2011 April 14, Michael Scherer, "
- During his absence the queen fell ill, and after lingering for some time she died.
Trump's Political Reality Show: Will the Donald Really Run for President?," Time :
- Trump doesn't linger on the poll.
* linger on