Dally vs Linger - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between dally and linger
is that dally
is to waste time in voluptuous pleasures, or in idleness; to trifle while linger
is to stay or remain in a place or situation, especially as if unwilling to depart or not easily able to do so.
As a noun dally
is several wraps of rope around the saddle horn, used to stop animals in.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
To waste time in voluptuous pleasures, or in idleness; to trifle.
- We have trifled too long already; it is madness to dally any longer.
To interchange caresses, especially of a sexual nature; to use fondling; to wanton; to sport (compare dalliance)
- We have put off God, and dallied with his grace.
To delay unnecessarily; to while away.
To wind the lasso rope (ie throw-rope) around the saddle horn (the saddle horn is attached to the pommel of a western style saddle) after the roping of an animal
* 2003 , Jameson Parker, An Accidental Cowboy , page 89:
- Not dallying with a brace of courtesans.
- The end of the top rope he dallied around the gooseneck trailer hitch.
Possibly from (etyl) "da le la vuelta ! " ("twist it around !") by law of Hobson-Jobson.
Several wraps of rope around the saddle horn, used to stop animals in .
* 1947 - Bruce Kiskaddon, Rhymes and Ranches
- What matters is now if he tied hard and fast, / Or tumbled his steer with a dally .
To stay or remain in a place or situation, especially as if unwilling to depart or not easily able to do so.
* 1859 , , A Tale of Two Cities , ch. 15:
* 1891 , , "Mrs. Manstey's View":
- His tone lingered in the air, almost like the tone of a musical instrument.
* 2011 April 25, Alice Park, "
- She lingered in the window.
Upgrading the Disaster," Time :
To remain alive or existent although still proceeding toward death or extinction; to die gradually.
* 1887 , , The Woodlanders , ch. 14:
- It takes into account . . . predictions of how long radioactive contaminants will linger in the soil and water near the nuclear facility.
* 1904 , , "Asmund and Signy" in The Brown Fairy Book :
- He lingered through the day, and died that evening as the sun went down.
(often followed by on) To consider or contemplate for a period of time; to engage in analytical thinking or discussion.
* 2011 April 14, Michael Scherer, "
- During his absence the queen fell ill, and after lingering for some time she died.
Trump's Political Reality Show: Will the Donald Really Run for President?," Time :
- Trump doesn't linger on the poll.
* linger on