An indigenous inhabitant of the Americas; an American Indian. (Now chiefly with qualifying word.)
* 2007 , James Twitchell, Shopping for God, p 47
* 1711 , (Joseph Addison), The Spectator , 56.1:
- And in the efforts of American Muslims to achieve a more market-savvy Islam. Just look at Wicca
* 2012 , (Jonathan Keates), ‘Mon Père, ce héros’, Literary Review , 402:
- The Americans believe that all creatures have souls.
An inhabitant of the Americas. More often this is specified as either North American'', ''Central American'' or ''South American.
- Within a few months the ‘slave Alexandre’ had been successfully transformed into what, across the Channel, was called a ‘blackamoor dandy’. Parisians preferred the more politely euphemistic term ‘American ’.
Originally, a native or inhabitant of the British North American colonies of European descent; now, a person born in, or a citizen or inhabitant of, the United States of America.
* 2008 , Chris Moss, The Guardian , 9 Aug 2008:
- Every American' s origin is, historically speaking, by immigration, if scientific speculation that points to a human origin in Asia and a migration to the New World over frozen Bering Strait turns out to be correct.
- They say Americans don't walk. Well, they do in the Navajo Nation - because even if northern Arizona has gigabytes of photogenic vistas, getting out of the car is the only way to get your boots covered in desert dust and soak up the silence.
*Western Hemispherian, New Worlder
* Central American
* North American
* South American
(en proper noun
The English language as spoken in the USA; American English.
* 1942', We sat down in the central square and drank coffee and a man came up and spoke to us in '''American . — Rebecca West, ''Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Canongate 2006, p. 756)
Of or pertaining to the Americas. More often this is specified as either "North American" or "South American."
Of, from, or pertaining to the United States of America, .
- Thanksgiving is an American tradition.
- He married an American''' woman in order to get an '''American passport.
- Should you ever be athirst in the great American desert, try this experiment, if your caravan happen to be supplied with a metaphysical professor.
Sometimes (usually outside of the USA) used pejoratively (see also anti-Americanism).
* Western Hemispherian, New Worlder
* (US American) United Statesian, USAian, Usanian, Usonian, US American, US-ian; (in Cockney rhyming slang: ) Septic, Usonan
* (US American) North Atlanticist
(terms derived from American)
* American aloe
* American ash
* American Black English
* American chameleon
* American crocodile
* American dream
* American dun-bar
* American eagle
* American elm
* American English
* American Falls
* American Fork
* American foxhound
* American fries
* American goldfinch
* American gothic
* American Legion
* American option
* American pit bull terrier
* American plan
* American Revised Version
* American Revolution
* American saddle horse
* American share
* American shorthair
* American Spanish
* American Staffordshire terrier
* American Standard Version
* American style option
* American Thanksgiving
* American War of Independence
* American water spaniel
* Latin-American Spanish
* US Americans
* (North America)
* (South America)
* (United States of America)
Of or pertaining to of the [[w:Church of Satan, Church of Satan, or to his school of Satanism.
A follower of Anton LaVey (i.e., a LaVeyanist)