Mistake vs Lapses - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between mistake and lapses
is that mistake
is an error; a blunder while lapses
As verbs the difference between mistake and lapses
is that mistake
is to understand wrongly, taking one thing for another, or someone for someone else while lapses
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
An error; a blunder.
* 1877 , Henry Heth, quoting , in "Causes of the Defeat of Gen. Lee's Army at the Battle of GettysburgOpinions of Leading Confederate Soldiers.", Southern Historical Society Papers (1877), editor Rev. J. WM. Jones [http://books.google.com/books?id=iDIFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA292&dq=lee+%22mistakes+were+made%22&hl=en&ei=fchaTbu4L8L98AaVs4n-DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=lee%20%22mistakes%20were%20made%22&f=false]
(baseball) A pitch which was intended to be pitched in a hard to hit location, but instead ends up in an easy to hit place
- After it is all over, as stupid a fellow as I am can see that mistakes' were made. I notice, however, that my ' mistakes are never told me until it is too late.
* See also
* Usually make a mistake. See
To understand wrongly, taking one thing for another, or someone for someone else.
- Sorry, I mistook you for my brother. You look very similar.
- My father's purposes have been mistook .
To commit an unintentional error; to do or think something wrong.
* Jonathan Swift
- A man may mistake the love of virtue for the practice of it.
(obsolete, rare) To take or choose wrongly.
- Servants mistake , and sometimes occasion misunderstanding among friends.