* 2006 (Kate Atkinson), One Good Turn (Black Swan(2007), ISBN 9780552772440), page 81:
*:Martin was pretty dull as names went but 'Alex' Blake' had a certain dash to it. His publishers hadn't considered Martin's own name to be 'punchy' enough. The pseudonym ' Alex Blake was chosen after much deliberation, most of which excluded Martin. 'A strong, no-nonsense sort of name', his editor said, 'to compensate'. For what, she didn't say.
, short form of Alexandra or the female name Alexis, or a spelling variant of Alix.
* 2008 , The Northern Clemency (Harpercollins, ISBN 9780007174799), page 588:
- 'I had a Christmas card from someone calling herself Alex the year before last,' Daniel said. 'I couldn't think who it was.'
- 'Oh, yes, she's changed again,' Alice said. 'I never got used to Alexandra, either. It never occurred to me that Sandra was short for Alexandra - anyway, she's Sandra on her birth certificate.'
* (as a female name) Catie, Caty, Katie
(en proper noun
A female given name, diminutive of Katherine and of its variant forms.
The Missouri, Kansas and Texas (M.K.T) Railroad.
A village in Poland
A city in Texas
An unincorporated community in West Virginia
- She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride. Song title.
* 1876 Elizabeth Prentiss: Stepping Heavenward, and Aunt Jane's Hero . Ward, Lock&Tyler 1876. page 87:
*: The very first thing, however, Ernest annoyed me by calling me Katherine, though he knows I hate that name, and want to be called Katy as if I were a lovable person, as I certainly am (sometimes).
An apple cultivar from Sweden