(general) A sport played on foot in which teams attempt to get a ball into a goal or zone defended by the other team.
(other than North America, uncountable) association football: a game in which two teams each contend to get a round ball into the other team's goal primarily by kicking the ball. Known as soccer in Canada and the United States.
- Roman and medieval football''' matches were more violent than any modern type of '''football .
(US, uncountable) American football: a game in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball to the end of each other's territory.
- Each team scored three goals when they played football .
(Canada, uncountable) Canadian football: a game played on a wide field in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball to the end of each other's territory.
- Each team scored two touchdowns when they played football .
(Australia, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania, Northern Territory, uncountable) Australian rules football.
(Ireland, uncountable) Gaelic football: a field game played with similar rules to hurling, but using hands and feet rather than a stick, and a ball, similar to, yet smaller than a soccer ball.
(Australia, New South Wales, Queensland, uncountable) rugby league.
(Australia, Ireland, New Zealand) rugby union
(countable) The ball used in any game called "football".
- They played football in the snow.
(uncountable) Practise of these particular games, or techniques used in them.
(figuratively, countable) An item of discussion, particularly in a back-and-forth manner
- ''The player kicked the football .
(slang, countable) The nickname of the leather briefcase containing classified nuclear war plans, which is always near the US President.
- That budget item became a political football .
* ("football" in Britain)
** (all varieties of English) association football, soccer (all varieties of English), wogball (Australian racist slang)
** (British slang) footie, footer
* ("football" in the US) American football, (Australia) gridiron, gridiron football
* ("football" in Canada) (outside Canada) Canadian football
* footy, Aussie Rules, VFL (outdated), AFL
* ("football" in New South Wales and Queensland) footy, league
** (in all varieties of English and in all games called "football") ball
** footy, pill
** soccer ball
* American football
* arena football
* Australian rules football
* Barbarian football
* blow football
* Canadian flag football
* Canadian football
* Gaelic football
* five-a-side football
* flag football
* football hooligan
* football match
* football player
* football tennis
* gridiron football
* political football
* roller football
* table football
* touch football
* tackle football
* for a list of terms used in football/soccer.
* Details of the word football
in various parts of the world.
* (American football
Translations of football (soccer) terms
1000 English basic words
An Okinawan martial art involving primarily punching and kicking, but additionally, advanced throws, arm bars, grappling and all means of fighting.
* karate kick