Jasper vs Jaspideous - What's the difference?
As a proper noun jasper
is , an english variant of caspar.
As an adjective jaspideous is
jaspidean; made of jasper.
From (etyl) jaspre, a variant of jaspe (modern French jaspe), from (etyl) iaspis, from (etyl) .
(obsolete) Any bright-coloured kind of chalcedony apart from cornelian.
(mineralogy) An opaque, impure variety of quartz, of red, yellow, and other dull colors, breaking conchoidally with a smooth surface.
* Jasper National Park
* jasper opal
* lavender jasper
* xyloid jasper
From the male personal name Jasper .
(UK, West Country, Somerset, colloquial) A wasp.
(US, slang) A person, a guy, especially seen as naïve or simple.
* 1975 , Tom Waits, ‘Nighthawk Postcards (From Easy Street)’:
* 2006 , Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day , Vintage 2007, p. 122:
- Standing on the corner like a just-got-in-town jasper .
* 1968 , Charles Portis, True Grit , The Saturday Evening Post
- “That jasper ,” sniggered Darby, “never pulled out his ‘dummy’ for nothing but pissing, I bet you!”
- "I stood there through almost an hour of it before they called Rooster Cogburn to the stand. I had guessed wrong as to which one he was, picking out a younger and slighter man with a badge on his shirt. And I was surprised when an old one-eyed jasper that was built along the lines of Grover Cleveland went up and was sworn."
jaspidean; made of jasper
jaspidean; containing jasper
jaspidean; like jasper