Jacket vs Cardigan - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between jacket and cardigan
is that jacket
is a piece of clothing worn on the upper body outside a shirt or blouse, often waist length to thigh length while cardigan
is a type of sweater or jumper that fastens up the front with buttons or a zipper, usually machine- or hand-knitted from wool.
As a verb jacket
is to enclose or encase in a jacket or other covering.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
A piece of clothing worn on the upper body outside a shirt or blouse, often waist length to thigh length.
A piece of a person's suit, beside trousers and, sometimes, waistcoat ; coat (US)
A removable or replaceable protective or insulating cover for an object (eg a book, hot water tank.)
(slang) A police record.
* 1995 , , 00:26:00:
* 1995 , , 00:43:50:
- "We got a crowd of black, white customers, out-of-state license plates, what have you. Somebody gonna check that out. They gonna drop a dime on me, call 911. With my jacket , I can't go back to jail."
(military) In ordnance, a strengthening band surrounding and reinforcing the tube in which the charge is fired.
- "Yo's jacket shows possession with intent, possession of unlicensed firearm, and assault, for which he still owes three years."
* donkey jacket
* dust jacket
* flak jacket
* jacket potato
* life jacket
* Nehru jacket
* smoking jacket
* Scottish Gaelic: (l)
* Welsh: (l)
To enclose or encase in a jacket or other covering.
* 1897 , Alexander James Wallis-Tayler,
Motor Cars Or Power-carriages for Common Roads
- ...to...prevent...the loss of heat...there is also a layer of silicate cotton or slag wool. This latter material is also employed to jacket the chimney for a certain portion of its length.
A type of sweater or jumper that fastens up the front with buttons or a zipper, usually machine- or hand-knitted from wool.
* cardi', '''cardie''', ' cardy