Beastly vs Irrational - What's the difference?
Beastly is a synonym of irrational.
As adjectives the difference between beastly and irrational
is that beastly
is (uk) pertaining to, or having the form, nature or habits of, a beast while irrational
is not rational; unfounded or nonsensical.
As an adverb beastly
is like a beast; brutishly.
As a noun irrational is
a real number that can not be expressed as the quotient of two integers, an irrational number.
(UK) Pertaining to, or having the form, nature or habits of, a beast.
(UK) Characterizing the nature of a beast; contrary to the nature and dignity of man; brutal; filthy.
(UK, dated) Abominable.
- beastly weather
Most often used pejoratively. is more narrow, though also often used pejoratively.
* (like a beast) bestial, animalian
Like a beast; brutishly.
* 1590 , (Edmund Spenser), The Faerie Queene , III.8:
* 1901 , The Literary World - Volume 63 - Page 35:
- Beastly he threwe her downe, ne car'd to spill / Her garments gay with scales of fish that all did fill.
- They have insulted me most beastly . Moreover, they are, everyone of them, black-satan filthmen.
Not rational; unfounded or nonsensical.
* July 18 2012 , Scott Tobias, AV Club The Dark Knight Rises [http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-dark-knight-rises-review-batman,82624/]
- an irrational decision
(mathematics, arithmetic, number theory, not comparable) Of a real number, that cannot be written as the ratio of two integers.
- Where the Joker preys on our fears of random, irrational acts of terror, Bane has an all-consuming, dictatorial agenda that’s more stable and permanent, a New World Order that’s been planned out with the precision of a military coup.
- The number π is irrational .
* (mathematics) rational
* (mathematics) transcendental
* irrational number
A real number that can not be expressed as the quotient of two integers, an irrational number.
* 1946 , (Bertrand Russell), History of Western Philosophy , I.24:
- The square root of 2, which was the first irrational to be discovered, was known to the early Pythagoreans, and ingenious methods of approximating to its value were discovered.