* Nouns to which "contaminated" is often applied: food, meat, fish, milk, water, groundwater, land, soil, sediment, site, property, air, product, material.
Easily provoked to outbursts of anger; irritable.
* 1809 , , Knickerbocker's History of New York , ch. 16:
* 1863 , , Hospital Sketches , ch. 1:
- . . . the surly and irascible passions which, like belligerent powers, lie encamped around the heart.
* 1921 , , Four Years , ch. 10:
- I am naturally irascible , and if I could have shaken this negative gentleman vigorously, the relief would have been immense.
* 2004 Feb. 29, Daniel Kadlec, "
- . . . a never idle man of great physical strength and extremely irascible —did he not fling a badly baked plum pudding through the window upon Xmas Day?
Why He's Meanspan," Time :
- Alan Greenspan was on an irascible roll last week, first dissing everyone who holds a fixed-rate mortgage — suckers! — and later picking on folks who collect Social Security: Get back to work, Grandma.
* cantankerous, choleric, cranky, ill-tempered, hot-tempered